Thursday, April 24, 2014

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning #atozchallenge

UniSol4officialposter.jpg
Official Poster (Wikipedia)


           My wife and I are both fans of the films of Jean-Claude Van Damme.   We especially enjoyed the "Universal Soldier" series.  Though they don't receive the highest critical accolades, for me they're all a lot of science fiction action fun.

           Of the films in this series, the last one, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012) is probably my favorite as far as depth and intensity of theme.  This film is also the most dream-like.  In this film the cyborg soldiers begin to look within themselves and question what they are doing.  Issues regarding age and religion are explored.

           It's still an action film with violent physical combat, but there is more exploration into philosophy and the things that drive us from a psychological standpoint.  I found it to be a very different Van Damme film in keeping with the fact that he is aging in real life as an actor.

        Have you seen Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning?   How about the other "Universal Soldier" films?  Do you see Van Damme as a superficial screen actor or do you like his work?   



Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Another Van Damme fan here. I enjoyed this movie Lee.

    Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like looking at Van Damme :) I'm not really into action movies but for the sake of healthy relationships did sit through many of them and for what it's worth, good-looking action heroes are always a plus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. His early (long ago) films depended almost entirely on his prowess. He has grown as an actor and I look forward to this film. Hoping for his success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't much for his genre of movies...Russell watches his stuff if it's on so I'll half pay attention but I don't seek out his movies.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments or to just know that you were here. Please let me know what you think. And if you'd be so kind, please click on the Friend Connect button. It's nice to be joined on my dream journey with others who want to explore the mysterious world of the subconscious mind.
Sorry, due to too much spam I no longer allow anonymous comments on this site. If you want to comment and aren't registered yet then please sign up. It's not all that difficult and I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Comment away!

The Dreamer