Thursday, April 17, 2014

On the Beach #atozchallenge

Cover of "On the Beach"
Cover of On the Beach

         On The Beach (1959) is another one of those moody black and white films that moves at a leisurely dream-like pace.  They don't make too many films of this nature now because a lot of audiences would probably get too impatient sitting through them.   I find this film to be a wonderful viewing experience.

          The top notch cast includes the likes of Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, and Anthony Perkins.   It's a somber post apocalypse story.  In the aftermath of world wide nuclear devastation, the last remnant of humanity lingers on in Australia.  Death is coming for all.  The film follows the final days until the end.

        It's a bleak film, but outstanding in every way.  This is among my favorite films and I highly recommend it.   There's no graphic horror or special effects to speak of, but it's a touching story of friendship, love, and loss.

         Have you seen On The Beach?    Do you like dramas that focus on acting more than action?   Is the world headed for nuclear destruction?  


Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I have never seen this movie. But I haven't seen a lot of black and white movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie years ago. I was a fairly young child, so I remember very little. This is something I would love to see again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your tweet that faraway was being neglected. How did that happen?

    This is a great theme and I'm just discovering it? Bad Blogger.

    On the Beach has never stopped haunting me. I flash on that movie every once in and while and think, "What if?" What a cast that had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never saw this movie or heard of it. I prefer a movie that focuses on acting with action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this one. I have a hard time watching films that I know don't end well, which is why I still haven't seen "It's a Beautiful Life" or "Schindler's List." I do love watching good acting over all action and no story...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments or to just know that you were here. Please let me know what you think. And if you'd be so kind, please click on the Friend Connect button. It's nice to be joined on my dream journey with others who want to explore the mysterious world of the subconscious mind.
Sorry, due to too much spam I no longer allow anonymous comments on this site. If you want to comment and aren't registered yet then please sign up. It's not all that difficult and I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Comment away!

The Dreamer